Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Joy Kills Sorrow


This is a really cool band out of the Boston area. They have recently changed lead singers but this band is incredibly talented. As a buddy mandolin player, I especially enjoy the work of Joe Walsh. He does some terrific rhythm work and has very tasteful precise solos. Adam, on banjo, is extremely skilled and keeps the whole thing on track. And Matt, on guitar, has just won the National Flatpicking Championships recently I believe. There are accolades for whole band that a simple web search will reveal.

I have a bunch of their tunes and they are all so good and inspiring (at least for me). I have been listening to this a lot lately on the commute. Incredible vocals on all. I am putting up two older ones to start. I have more that I might post later. One tune has some great bass bowing on it. Check out the sedate but accurate chop of Joe, too.

Oh, I do need to add that both tracks are not a great recording. They start to break up at the very high reaches of the vocals; but I still think they are very listenable.


Barbara Ellen

Handsome Molly

No comments: