Thursday, November 29, 2007

Far From Enough

This is a pretty ironic title considering all the threads this album is going open on this here blog. Kind of exciting, in fact, at least for me. So to get right to it: this is a fantastic album that came out a few years ago. It is Victor Krauss' first solo album and he is Alison Krauss's brother. Victor has been a supporting a number of musicians before this project; too many for me to mention here besides a note that he is Lyle Lovett's bassist for a while (maybe still is).

I was reminded of this album from all the talk of the Robert Plant and Alison Krauss duets album that has come out recently. I guess I wasn't as skeptical as most on hearing about this collaboration. This is due to the Robert Plant cover that Alison sings on this album. I really like it and Alison's voice has always just slayed me. There will definitely be more posts with her involved in the future.

Big Log

But this album is so much more than that. I can't just leave you with that sample. Bill Frisell on guitar and Jerry Douglas on dobro really shine here. Any project with either of these guys will get me psyched. Bill adds so much texture to a project and songs take such great twists and turns when he is on board. Jerry Douglas is just a phenomenal talent and has played in a multitude of projects. Check out this fun little song:

Here To Be Me

We still haven't hit what this album is totally about and without posting the whole album I never will. Victor is so good at creating mood and context. There will definitely be more nuggets from all four of these artists in the future.

For A Good Time

No comments: