Monday, December 3, 2007

Ain’t been to heaven but I been told


Well, I admit I am not a huge fan of Bruce (sorry, Jonathan) but I do own two albums: Nebraska and We Shall Overcome.

The latter isn't even really a Springsteen album as it is entirely covers of Pete Seeger songs. This album has a loose feel, with off-the cuff solos and jangly kitchen sink rhythms. It fun to Hear him yell on the key changes and who gets to solo next. It has that Springsteen enthusiasm too. There are a number of tracks that are excellent but it is the late 9, 10, 11 tracks that I think are best. Here is number nine:

Eyes On the Prize

This is one starts slow but builds momentum. It twangy, but the chorus kicks in and so do some 'Nawlins horns. Then mellows out meanwhile keeping Bruce gritty-ness throughout.

Enjoy.

Post Script Rant: Bruce contracts 18 musicians for an Old-Time record and doesn't hire one mandolinist?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to share, I also love it when Bruce shouts out key changes and demands solos from the other artists.

I read an interview w/ Seeger, he was mostly pleased with the Bruce rendition with the exception of "O Mary..." since it was changed to a minor key. "That would be like singing America the Beautiful in a minor key"

In this same article, he quotes Springsteen from 20 years ago: "A rock singer can last as long as he can look down from the mike and see his own face reflected back to him"

Guitar World Acoustic-August 2006