Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Jimi Thing

This is an often overlooked album in Ricki Lee Jones discography. There are no real hits on it; it is more of an acoustic jazz album. And it is this fact, the reason why I enjoy it. Plus, she has , in my opinion, a great cover of Jimi Hendrix's Up From The Skies. This track has Robben Ford on acoustic Steel String guitar (rhythm), John Leftwich on Bass, and Michael O'Neill on acoustic Nylon String guitar (lead). Check out the guitar runs towards the end of the song. For me, this is a classic.

Up From The Skies

As it is called Pop Pop, I will throw one more gem up. This track has the same bass player, Walfredo Reyes on brushes, and the great Joe Henderson on saxophone. Cool jazz vibe.

Bye Bye Blackbird

1 comment:

Trance Dancer in Snowshoes said...

Very nice indeed. I'd missed this album. Ricki Lee covers so much musical turf it's sometimes hard to grasp how well she does it all... Here take on Traffic and Steely Dan is equally fine.

Thanks for bringing my attention to a lot of great music!