Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Workin', indeed...

I was listening to three of the four classic Miles Davis Quintet albums last night while I was doing the dishes, stoking the fire, etc. There were four amazing MDQ records recorded in mid to late 1956. All with the same band: John Coltrane on tenor, Philly Joe Jones on the kit, Red Garland on piano and Paul Chambers on bass. This was just an amazing group that effortlessly worked together. Talk about tight. I have all four albums and they are fantastic. But back to last night, I had Steamin', Cookin' and Workin' on rotation last night. I was sitting there and this first tune from Workin' just blew me away again. Coltrane isn't even heard from but the rhythm section impeccably strolls along as Red sets the scene.

Tone and Control. Miles throws out a clinic. This would apply for all artists and musicians. This is an example of complete control of your tone. Phew.

It Never Entered My Mind

No comments: